Top 9 Things to do in Chiang Mai
I absolutely loved Chiang Mai, as mentioned many times before. In addition to eating my way through the city, I also made lots of new friends and experienced plenty of small and big adventures the city has to offer. Below are my top 9 things to do while you’re in one of Thailand’s most exciting cities.
1. Visit Muang Mai Market (wholesale food market, where most restaurants get their produce from)
2. Leave room for serendipity. Be open to new experiences, don’t plan out everything. Walk around the city and “get lost”. This is how I ended up meeting a monk and joining an intimate meditation, a unique experience (see next point...)
3. Visit some temples and join a meditation (Wat Umong for a temple that’s a bit different, or try some of my favourites in the Old City - Wat Dab Pai and Wat Duang Dee. Or even better, find your own favourite temple.)
4. Make new friends by starting a conversation with a stranger at one of the many coffee shops. I found that people in Chiang Mai are so easy to get along with.
5. Get out into the jungle
6. Eat your way through the Sunday night market (touristy, but worth it)
7. Get the best massage of your life
8. Learn Muay Thai. I already train Muay Thai in Melbourne, so I wanted to find a good gym in Chiang Mai, so I asked around a bit and ended up going to VWin, a new gym that had just opened. It was a beautiful, wide-open space, and the class was pretty much like personal training (only shared with one couple) with 5 personal trainers.
9. Visit the Organic Food Market at One Nimman
I’m keen to hear what else you’d add to the list. Let me (and others) know in the comments below.